Friday, July 26, 2013

Black belt journey




Many of you have followed (and encouraged me) on this journey to get my black belt and the time is approaching where my dream will be realized. I started taking taekwondo in 2010. I visited a few schools and settled on Yongin Martial Arts. It was just something about Master Kim that spoke to me and I knew I would enjoy learning from him.

When I joined, Yongin had only been open for a few months. Soon they started a demo team and I joined. I am no longer a member of the demo team, but that team was sooo fun (even if I was the oldest one on the team). Demo is where I learned all the advanced skills...it always kept me on my toes.

Anyway, I did taekwondo even through my first trimester of pregnancy. After the first trimester I took off until February of 2013(about 9 months total). When I started back it was ROUGH! Not only was I out of shape, but I hated being away from Seth. Sean kept encouraging me, plus I was only one belt away from qualifying to test for my black belt. Well I finally tested last week..and I GOT IT! I am now pre-qualified to test for the black belt. And on Monday I found out this is where the real fun starts.




Between August and November I have to do the following to qualify for my black belt test
  • Complete 100 acts of kindness
  • Run 50 miles
  • Do 3,000 push ups
  • Do 4,500 sit ups
  • Do 30 reps of the 9 forms (each form is at least 18 moves0
  • Do 30 reps of the 8 self defense techniques
  • Do 30 reps of choreographed self defense technique
  • Do a black belt project (usually some type of demo)
  • Do a charity project
  • Get letters of recommendation
  • Attend 2 manual study classes for the written test
  • Attend 3 seminars that review martial art basics
HUH?! Typing it all out just made me anxious all over again. ::deep breath::

All the things above are what I have to do before I take the written test and the physical test. If I remeber correctly, the physical test is about 3-4 hours long.

Every journey starts will one step...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...